A forum for the original Sunday Group.
 
HomePortalGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Campaign proposal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:03 pm

The party to consist of squires and pages, led by a single knight. Other types could be included, such as a roving priest, a mercenary soldier, a bard, a herald--whatever sort of person could conceivably be in the company of a knight.

The squires would be in the 18-20 age range (or whatever is appropriate to a squire). Pages are younger. Pages aren't required; I just thought it'd be fun to mix the group up in terms of age and social ranking. Playing a lackey shouldn't diminish the game for the player; in fact, it could be a great role-playing opportunity. A mercenary soldier could be a comrade/friend/relative of the knight, as could a priest, etc.

You're probably thinking, a party of fighters? Why, that's unorthodox, by cracky! (In Chaosium's Pendragon, just about every PC is a knight. In Ars Magica, PCs are mostly wizards.) But there could be room for a magician--though I'm not recommending spell-users for the initial part of the campaign, but I can make allowances if this is what you want to play.

Thoughts? If you like the idea, what sort of character intrigues you? You won't be held to what you say here; I'm just trying to gauge your inclinations.

P.S. Don't expect priests to be spell-users like their (A)D&D counterpart(s): a priest is simply a type of religious official (just as in real life).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

avatar

Posts : 654
Join date : 2008-08-20
Location : Area 51

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Herald sounds intriguing. So would Standard Bearer (the proverbial Star Trek red shirt).

A Scout of some form would also be different.

Barring all of that a JTF2 Commando.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kubera

avatar

Posts : 1364
Join date : 2008-08-15
Age : 54
Location : suburb of Kolab

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:23 pm

I might be interested in doing a little of this or a little of that.



Quote :
a priest is simply a type of religious official (just as in real life).

I would have defined a priest as a santimonious pedaphile, but lets not quibble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
Bruzynski

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2008-08-18
Location : in a dank basement reading someone else's mail

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 pm

i'll be the page...or maybe the squire? How about a monk? Or the ever popular jester/tumbler/lover?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wilhelm

avatar

Posts : 654
Join date : 2008-08-20
Location : Area 51

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Would one of us be allowed to play the Knight?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Bruzynski wrote:
i'll be the page...or maybe the squire? How about a monk? Or the ever popular jester/tumbler/lover?
There could be more than one squire and more than one page.

A monk is someone who follows a monastic rule. He is not necessarily a warrior, let alone a weaponless combat expert.

You can have a thief (i.e., someone with skills that might be described as thieving, such as picking locks), but what would his public face be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Wilhelm wrote:
Would one of us be allowed to play the Knight?
Is this what you are hoping for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Bruzynski

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2008-08-18
Location : in a dank basement reading someone else's mail

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:44 pm

SteveL wrote:
You can have a thief (i.e., someone with skills that might be described as thieving, such as picking locks), but what would his public face be?

so a jester/acrobat is not a good enough cover?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wilhelm

avatar

Posts : 654
Join date : 2008-08-20
Location : Area 51

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:22 am

Quote :
Would one of us be allowed to play the Knight?

Is this what you are hoping for?

The question was more around if the Knight was a player character or NPC who was leading the rest of us on an adventure.

If the Knight is a player, as it stands now, I perceive that he's the linchpin - the benefactor and employer of the entourage that forms the balance of the party. If we were to operate as a medieval party, there is no democracy - we would go where the knight says. In a medieval/feudal setting the party is subservient as the knight is of higher status (a land owner).

I simply wasn't sure if it made sense for one player to be dominant.

That said, we can simply ignore history and play in a more cooperative manner - I'm not sure what the intent is.

From a sheer role playing standpoint - I enjoy playing a fighter - heretofore would be happy to enter knighthood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:53 pm

The plan is for the knight to be an NPC, but I might be able to find a way to accomodate a player who desires to make him a PC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Wilhelm wrote:
[...]

If the Knight is a player, as it stands now, I perceive that he's the linchpin - the benefactor and employer of the entourage that forms the balance of the party. If we were to operate as a medieval party, there is no democracy - we would go where the knight says. In a medieval/feudal setting the party is subservient as the knight is of higher status (a land owner).

I simply wasn't sure if it made sense for one player to be dominant.

That said, we can simply ignore history and play in a more cooperative manner - I'm not sure what the intent is.

From a sheer role playing standpoint - I enjoy playing a fighter - heretofore would be happy to enter knighthood.
I'm not sure if I have ever experienced an FRPG in which a PC had formal authority over another PC. I think it's a potentially fruitful role-playing situation. Leadership is difficult; will the leader's underlings question bad decisions? Will he seek their advice? What is their loyalty based on? None of this, to my mind, would cause tension among the players if properly handled; it's a role-playing issue and an interesting challenge. So, it's not one player being dominant; it's his character. Similarly, I don't think a role-player would ever avoid creating a non-domineering PC just because he is afraid the character might be ordered around--regardless of who has formal authority.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

avatar

Posts : 654
Join date : 2008-08-20
Location : Area 51

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Quote :

Leadership is difficult; will the leader's underlings question bad decisions? Will he seek their advice? What is their loyalty based on?

It would be allot like work - not play.

In the medieval setting, the threat and/or administration of corporal and capital punishment were useful in extracting obedience. This seems unlikely to work in the role playing world. From a logistical standpoint, I think the knight should be a NPC. It avoids the need for some kind of loyalty creation mechanism. In FRPG methinks that all people need to have the ability to input and come up with a group decision. A PC playing the knight may find himself issuing punishment to a PC who disobeyed an order. Carrying out punitive actions is the DMs baileywick.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that the knight is the DMs face in the gaming world - it can be played that we are always speaking to the knight and not a DM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bruzynski

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2008-08-18
Location : in a dank basement reading someone else's mail

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Ok, I have my character.

I am a dogsbody. A young man, almost a boy, who is bright, energetic and prone to pocketing things which are not his. My nominal duties include laundry, serving, packing, running errands, cleaning and being beaten for not doing these things promptly or correctly. I am sly, talkative at times, and I look out for my own interests. I smile where everyone can see me and simmer when they can't. I am often found daydreaming.
Quote :
"We can not be all masters, nor all masters cannot be truly followed, you shall mark many a dutious and knee-crooking knave that doting on his own obsequious bondage wears out his time much like his master's ass, and when he's old? Cashiered. Whip me such honest knaves."
Well I am perhaps not really bad, but certainly self-absorbed and conceited. Like most young people of ability, I think quite highly of myself; though the staff has taught me to be prudent in my conceit.


Last edited by Bruzynski on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction of tense and voice)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Bruzynski wrote:
Ok, I have my character.

I am a dogsbody. A young man, almost a boy, who is bright, energetic and prone to pocketing things which are not his. My nominal duties include laundry, serving, packing, running errands, cleaning and being beaten for not doing these things promptly or correctly. I am sly, talkative at times, and I look out for my own interests. I smile where everyone can see me and simmer when they can't. I am often found daydreaming.
Quote :
"We can not be all masters, nor all masters cannot be truly followed, you shall mark many a dutious and knee-crooking knave that doting on his own obsequious bondage wears out his time much like his master's ass, and when he's old? Cashiered. Whip me such honest knaves."
Well I am perhaps not really bad, but certainly self-absorbed and conceited. Like most young people of ability, I think quite highly of myself; though the staff has taught me to be prudent in my conceit.
Ah, interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

avatar

Posts : 654
Join date : 2008-08-20
Location : Area 51

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:45 pm

I have mine. I will play a female character.

I am the object of the knight's desires and his betrothed. I get to sit around eating bon-bons while the rest of the party waits on me hand and foot. I probably also get to wear a red shirt and get kidnapped or killed at the beginning of every episode adventure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kubera

avatar

Posts : 1364
Join date : 2008-08-15
Age : 54
Location : suburb of Kolab

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:47 pm

IN most campaigns the histories are pointless because they all amount to the same thing. Poor orphan of people killed by ___________ makes good and tries to right the wrongs of the world.

I think its infinately more interesting if real detailed histories with adventure hooks are included and/or you are given a character with a pre (DM) determined set of skills, beliefs, personality, hates, loves, etc. and you are forced to play it and make it your own. This forces people to NOT play the same Character in 5 campaigns, and pushes the envelope for peoples role playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
Bruzynski

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2008-08-18
Location : in a dank basement reading someone else's mail

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:05 pm

kubera wrote:
IN most campaigns the histories are pointless because they all amount to the same thing. Poor orphan of people killed by ___________ makes good and tries to right the wrongs of the world.

I think its infinately more interesting if real detailed histories with adventure hooks are included and/or you are given a character with a pre (DM) determined set of skills, beliefs, personality, hates, loves, etc. and you are forced to play it and make it your own. This forces people to NOT play the same Character in 5 campaigns, and pushes the envelope for peoples role playing.

Ok. I will try this too. Either or baby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Regnar

avatar

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-09-05
Location : in the corners of my mind...

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:08 am

SteveL wrote:
The party to consist of squires and pages, led by a single knight. Other types could be included, such as a roving priest, a mercenary soldier, a bard, a herald--whatever sort of person could conceivably be in the company of a knight.

The squires would be in the 18-20 age range (or whatever is appropriate to a squire). Pages are younger. Pages aren't required; I just thought it'd be fun to mix the group up in terms of age and social ranking. Playing a lackey shouldn't diminish the game for the player; in fact, it could be a great role-playing opportunity. A mercenary soldier could be a comrade/friend/relative of the knight, as could a priest, etc.

You're probably thinking, a party of fighters? Why, that's unorthodox, by cracky! (In Chaosium's Pendragon, just about every PC is a knight. In Ars Magica, PCs are mostly wizards.) But there could be room for a magician--though I'm not recommending spell-users for the initial part of the campaign, but I can make allowances if this is what you want to play.

Thoughts? If you like the idea, what sort of character intrigues you? You won't be held to what you say here; I'm just trying to gauge your inclinations.

P.S. Don't expect priests to be spell-users like their (A)D&D counterpart(s): a priest is simply a type of religious official (just as in real life).

Excellent! I'm all for it! Sounds like fun ... more role-playing and charactrer focus than "what's my next power going to be".
I'm in!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Regnar

avatar

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-09-05
Location : in the corners of my mind...

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am

kubera wrote:
IN most campaigns the histories are pointless because they all amount to the same thing. Poor orphan of people killed by ___________ makes good and tries to right the wrongs of the world.

I think its infinately more interesting if real detailed histories with adventure hooks are included and/or you are given a character with a pre (DM) determined set of skills, beliefs, personality, hates, loves, etc. and you are forced to play it and make it your own. This forces people to NOT play the same Character in 5 campaigns, and pushes the envelope for peoples role playing.

I somewhat disagree with this. Admittedly it may help some players who need that 'push', but fo me, I think I have a pretty good handle on being able to play different types of characters and relish the notion of developing a really fun one. I'd like the chance to at least paint the broad strokes of my character's background (definately NOT pointless, as what has gone before, can be important in the future!), and have the DM fillin the details.

I am looking forward to this campaign and system because of its incredible 'openess'. No classes! No lables! Woo hoo! Only what you make of the character.


Quote :
I'm not sure if I have ever experienced an FRPG in which a PC had formal authority over another PC. I think it's a potentially fruitful role-playing situation. Leadership is difficult; will the leader's underlings question bad decisions? Will he seek their advice? What is their loyalty based on? None of this, to my mind, would cause tension among the players if properly handled; it's a role-playing issue and an interesting challenge. So, it's not one player being dominant; it's his character. Similarly, I don't think a role-player would ever avoid creating a non-domineering PC just because he is afraid the character might be ordered around--regardless of who has formal authority.

Ahh, not true, oh honoured DM. If you recall, there were a couple of groups that Roddy and I had that fit that mold. The high level guys especially were in this category, Rod's guy was a noble (married a princess!) and my guy was his trusted commander! Remember? Thay was great! I (for one) loved it!
Depending on the character I play, I have no problem playing someone who is subordinate to another PC -- it would NOT have worked for Karl deFalcrum, but many others, yes.
But I do agree that initially it may be best if the Knight in question was an NPC ...

and Carter ... "a thief"...? that's a shocker ... (tee hee) Wink

hmmm... jester .... jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:02 pm

kubera wrote:
IN most campaigns the histories are pointless because they all amount to the same thing. Poor orphan of people killed by ___________ makes good and tries to right the wrongs of the world. [...]
Yes, this has been done many times (just as many adventures involve the retrieval of a valuable object). I can see why, though: it provides motivation and drama for the character. The actual details of the orphaning are usually different from PC to PC, which helps reduce the hackney factor. But I agree; this is to be avoided.

kubera wrote:
[...] I think its infinately more interesting if real detailed histories with adventure hooks are included and/or you are given a character with a pre (DM) determined set of skills, beliefs, personality, hates, loves, etc. and you are forced to play it and make it your own. This forces people to NOT play the same Character in 5 campaigns, and pushes the envelope for peoples role playing.
This was Ed Greenwood's approach when he DM'd for us. He handed each of us a complete PC with a name and a typed history. I didn't mind because I was interested in playing in the "real" Forgotten Realms, regardless of who my character was--though he was a simple fighter with a simple background, so there wasn't much to object to anyway.

One doesn't want to force a character on a player. In your case, we could arrange something to suit you. This would have to be in more general terms, perhaps a list of things you don't want to be. I'd hate to spend time and effort creating a PC that you wouldn't be happy with, though it shouldn't be difficult to make a backup or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:08 pm

Regnar wrote:
[...]

SteveL wrote:
I'm not sure if I have ever experienced an FRPG in which a PC had formal authority over another PC. I think it's a potentially fruitful role-playing situation. Leadership is difficult; will the leader's underlings question bad decisions? Will he seek their advice? What is their loyalty based on? None of this, to my mind, would cause tension among the players if properly handled; it's a role-playing issue and an interesting challenge. So, it's not one player being dominant; it's his character. Similarly, I don't think a role-player would ever avoid creating a non-domineering PC just because he is afraid the character might be ordered around--regardless of who has formal authority.

Ahh, not true, oh honoured DM. If you recall, there were a couple of groups that Roddy and I had that fit that mold. The high level guys especially were in this category, Rod's guy was a noble (married a princess!) and my guy was his trusted commander! Remember? Thay was great! I (for one) loved it! [...]
Yes, but technically Demigron wasn't really Falstaff's lackey. He was a friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
kubera

avatar

Posts : 1364
Join date : 2008-08-15
Age : 54
Location : suburb of Kolab

PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:39 pm

once again Doug is wanting to play a female,  is he destined for a mid life crisis and get himself Bruce Jennerized ?

_________________
Characters

Sadech of GreyHawk via the Bandit Kingdoms - time traveler, warrior for good, war criminal, bootlegger
Rild , The bandit rild, The Dread Bandit Rild, The Dread Paladin Rild Sir Rild of Cirdastan , co founder of Cirdastan and Defender of Cirda
Kubera- a wild guy
Valdir Winterwind, boutique elf in the land of the square sea
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Campaign proposal   

Back to top Go down
 
Campaign proposal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Marriage Proposal
» MINI Adds Horsepower To 'GREAT' Britain Campaign In Paris
» What will Obama's Re-Election Campaign Focus on?
» Brainless TAC campaign
» Worst BBC Wales Six Nations advertising campaign ever?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Checkerseekerdoors :: Mailed Fist-
Jump to: