A forum for the original Sunday Group.
 
HomePortalGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Using a ring of truth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Using a ring of truth   Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:06 pm

(This assumes that by wearing the ring the wearer knows that (1) he cannot lie, and (2) that he can detect any lie.)

Make the prisoner wear the ring. Tell him you will kill or hurt him if he doesn't tell you what you want to know. He will know via the ring that your threat is real and he will also know that he cannot lie. So, unless he is willing to die, he must comply.

P.S. Where is the ring of truth described? It's not in the 1E AD&D DMG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Jonathan

avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2008-08-16
Age : 52
Location : 47 9'S 126 43'W

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 pm

The ring is on page 93 of Unearthed Arcana, and on page 150 of the 2nd ed. DMG. The description is identical for both books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jonathansadventuresinretail.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:30 pm

A ring of truth would probably give the wearer an edge when bargaining with someone--say for the price of an item. "Is that your best offer?" "Yes; I can't go any lower." (Lie!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Jonathan

avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2008-08-16
Age : 52
Location : 47 9'S 126 43'W

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:12 am

So the ring wearer says: That's a lie!
To which the seller says: Okay, I won't go any lower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jonathansadventuresinretail.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

avatar

Posts : 654
Join date : 2008-08-20
Location : Area 51

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:12 pm

A combination of a ring of truth and a high charisma could be advantageous in bargaining.

The ring wearer never let's on they know it's a lie. They keep gently and charismatically persuading the vendor to do better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bruzynski

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2008-08-18
Location : in a dank basement reading someone else's mail

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 am

I prefer Harrison's take on ring of truth (ie that it is a cursed item). Not only does it allow the wearer to detect a lie, but if the wearer speaks he is compelled to tell the truth. From this stand point it might not be a good v
bargaining tool. Where it might help is if an advisor could wear the ring and tell you when the other guy was lying.

But really I think this is one of those things that is far too powerful without the negative effect of a curse (ie cursed so that you have to cut your finger off to remove).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bruzynski

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2008-08-18
Location : in a dank basement reading someone else's mail

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:23 am

Wilhelm wrote:
A combination of a ring of truth and a high charisma could be advantageous in bargaining.

The ring wearer never let's on they know it's a lie. They keep gently and charismatically persuading the vendor to do better.

I'm not sure how you would do this. You would be prevented from concealing your true position. If you were asked a question that you wouldn't answer it immediately gives you away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kubera

avatar

Posts : 1364
Join date : 2008-08-15
Age : 53
Location : suburb of Kolab

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:42 pm

You'd have to work in tandem with someone else,, let the one guy argue but the ring guy could interject with things like

"We both know you can do better than that"

"That's not you best offer"

"You expect me to believe that this sword was only used for killing orcs on sunday?"

"Give me a better price or I will kill you"

Opps , didn't mean that one
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Jonathan wrote:
SteveL wrote:
A ring of truth would probably give the wearer an edge when bargaining with someone--say for the price of an item. "Is that your best offer?" "Yes; I can't go any lower." (Lie!)
So the ring wearer says: That's a lie!
To which the seller says: Okay, I won't go any lower.
Only a ring-of-truth wearer with a poor Bargain skill would say that. He knows the seller will go lower, so he can reduce his bid without calling attention to the lie--as Wilhelm pointed out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Bruzynski wrote:
I prefer Harrison's take on ring of truth (ie that it is a cursed item). Not only does it allow the wearer to detect a lie, but if the wearer speaks he is compelled to tell the truth. [...]
Isn't that how it work's in Jonathan's world? Or is there a distinction between the requirement to tell the truth (SH) and the inability to lie (Jonathan)?

If so, SH's version is very interesting.

Bruzynski wrote:
[...]

From this stand point it might not be a good v
bargaining tool. Where it might help is if an advisor could wear the ring and tell you when the other guy was lying. [...]
The wearer of the SH-ring could probably refrain from making testable statements while bargaining.

Bruzynski wrote:
[...]

But really I think this is one of those things that is far too powerful without the negative effect of a curse (ie cursed so that you have to cut your finger off to remove).
But then the truth can be learned through other magical means as well (e.g., detect lie). Granted, the non-cursed version of the ring is more powerful because it operates at all times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Bruzynski

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2008-08-18
Location : in a dank basement reading someone else's mail

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Quote :
The wearer of the SH-ring could probably refrain from making testable statements while bargaining.

my take on the ring suggests that the wearer cannot make any statement in response to a direct question except the bald truth

and it should also be detectable when someone refrains from making testable statements while bargaining. Since my understanding of bargaining is based upon trust, i suggest that anything undermining trust adversely affects bargaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveL
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2008-08-15
Location : Camore

PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Bruzynski wrote:
Quote :
The wearer of the SH-ring could probably refrain from making testable statements while bargaining.

my take on the ring suggests that the wearer cannot make any statement in response to a direct question except the bald truth

and it should also be detectable when someone refrains from making testable statements while bargaining. Since my understanding of bargaining is based upon trust, i suggest that anything undermining trust adversely affects bargaining.
If the other party asks direct questions in order to elicit information that would undermine the wearer's bargaining position, the wearer should remain silent. This would likely not hurt the wearer, because that's the nature of bargaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Using a ring of truth   

Back to top Go down
 
Using a ring of truth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» FOR SALE 50mm & Reverse Ring adapter
» A disappointing days event!!! Defective ring gear
» Simple Truth
» RK X-Ring chain install
» [VSCC] Race 8 - Twin Ring Motegi

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Checkerseekerdoors :: "Okay, you're in a tavern. . . ."-
Jump to: