Checkerseekerdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the original Sunday Group.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kubera

kubera

Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic. Empty
PostSubject: Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic.   Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 2:30 pm

An interesting article on when and how certain metals were discovered and refined

http://neon.mems.cmu.edu/cramb/Processing/history.html

What this article shows me is Gold Silver Copper Lead Mercury Iron Tin Platinum Antimony Bismuth Zinc Arsenic are the only metals that can be reduced to a pure form with just heat and controlled atmosphere.

All other metals were undiscovered until the creation of galvanic current which allowed electrolysis to separate Cadmium, chromium, aluminium, cobalt, Nickel, Molybdenum, Tungsten, etc.

So in Fantasy, (TSR especially) there are 4 choices , they don't use any of these modern metals or fantasy metals have replaced them, They have mastered galvanic current, or industrial mages specialize in such work that would be technological in our time line.

Which do you think it is??
Back to top Go down
http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

PostSubject: Re: Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic.   Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 2:36 pm

I'd say choices 1 and 2 combined:

1. I haven't heard of any "modern metals" in any D&D setting.

2. The standard AD&D world has mithral and adamantium as fantasy metals.
Back to top Go down
http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Bruzynski

Bruzynski

PostSubject: Re: Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic.   Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Answer 1

let me clarify

These metals are not used in their pure forms; mithral and adamatium are fantasy metals but I don't think they are meant to replace other metals--there are no modern analogs for fantasy metals.

But not having these metals separated into their pure forms does not mean that they are not used in alloys.

Last edited by Bruzynski on Sat May 01, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic.   Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:25 pm

While the modern metals are not talked we are led to believe that the dwarves and even some elves have a much higher grasp of smith work and metalergy. I don't see how they can have this greater knowledge or skill unless they have access to the modern metals that lend themselves to alloying steel,, Moly, tungsten, cromium, manganese and nickel.

Tempering, annealling, and might big whacks with a hammer only get you so far without superior alloys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic.   Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rationalizing historical technology with fantasy and magic.
Page 1 of 1