Checkerseekerdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the original Sunday Group.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements Empty
PostSubject: Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements   Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:59 am

How do we define pure elements? Question

Periodic table? Earth air fire water? Some other medieval/game parameters? pale

From a simplicity perspective I would like to suggest we go with the Periodic table and add things that seem reasonable based on Jonathan's ruling...

Previous rulings:

Quartz - (SiO4) has gone back and forth but at this point is not a pure element for game purposes

Sand - This is a pure element for game purposes. In it's most common form it's made up of tiny particles of... SiO4, in other words; quartz. Fortunately, sand is more about the size of the particle and can easily be comprised from a pure element (silicon, magnesium) instead of quartz.
Back to top Go down
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

PostSubject: Re: Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements   Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:00 am

Can a Symbolist cast Chromatic Orb? What level spell is it in their book?

Assumption: We are using the periodic table to determine "pure"

The Spell: The material component is a gem of the correct colour or a diamond. There is a version that refers to quartz as a component for the white orb (1st level).

The Symbolist: A symbolist can translate pure elements to glyph form if they are of high enough level to deal with the element. A symbolist needs to be 8th level to convert precious elements and 6th level to convert semi-precious elements.

Diamonds: An allotrope of carbon. A diamond is a pure element (periodic table #6), it is precious and allows the caster to use all colours of the orb. There is little doubt that an 8th level symbolist can rewrite the spell into glyph form. It would be a 1st level spell and saving throws would be at -2 (rewrites of pure elements do not suffer the 2 spell level penalty but do impart the -2 to save).

Gem: By definition these are at least semi-precious. If they are comprised of a pure element a 6th level symbolist can rewrite the spell (semi-precious element). The issue is that I'm unaware of any gem that is a pure element except diamonds - the colour in gems is typically derived from the "impurities" (i.e. chromium in rubies). Is anyone aware of a semi-precious gem that is made from a pure element? If not, a symbolist can not cast this spell at 6th level - they will have to wait until 8th level when precious elements can be converted to glyph form.

Quartz: From a periodic table perspective this is not a pure element (SiO4) but, it could be one from a "medieval" perspective. We have gone back and forth on this but, I beleive it has been determined that quartz is not pure and can not be a component for this spell - (The white orb kind of sucks anyway).

Conclusion: Until someone can advise of a semi-precious, pure element gemstone this spell is not castable by a symbolist until they reach 8th level.
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements   Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:14 am

When it comes down to it only the most pure clear diamond is pure, all others have trace elements that cloud or colour, as in the recent craze for yellow and pink diamonds

Even today's bullion is not 100% its labeled 99.9 or 99.999 for gold and silver but they can never say 100%

Paladium never gets purer than 99.5

I think the entire design of the class description is flawed and should be changed to
all non material spells cast as normal

All material spells can be cast but 1 level later with a mineral (pure or not pure) if the spell ask for one, (no organics)

all spells that need a non mineral are cast 2 level later than norm. Caulk up the ability to use minerals or nothing to mental dispiple and screw the having to rewrite the spell.

Back to top Go down
http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

PostSubject: Re: Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements   Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:59 am

The whole game is flawed (just read the "fly" spell for a great example). The symbolist class is at least as screwed up as the rest of the game.

I know what you're saying re the impurities. The symbolist rewrites the pure part of the component only. They omit the impurities inherent in all element collections used by other wizards thus making the spell more powerful. This is reflected in the saving throw penalty.
Back to top Go down
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

PostSubject: Re: Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements   Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 10:25 am

Taking what you've said in a slightly different direction

I like the idea of replacing pure elements with minerals. It's just so much easier to manage. I wouldn't change the rules like your suggesting but I do like the mineral part...

Jonathan - what are your thoughts on the suggestion that instead of pure elements we define it as minerals?
Level Element
4thCommon, non-precious - lead, copper, salt, water, quartz, pewter, brass, etc...
5th common but complicated - Iron, acids , bases, etc...
6thSemi-precious - silver, electrum, semi-precious gems, etc...
8th Precious - gold, platinum, gems, etc...
9th Magical - Mithril, Adamantiun, Vibranium, etc...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements   Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Symbolist Issues - Pure Elements
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Checkerseekerdoors :: Greyhawk-
Jump to: