HomePortalGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Armor notes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteveL
Admin

PostSubject: Armor notes   Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:35 pm

I am eliminating certain armor types that would be anachronistic according to the time period my world resembles (i.e., approx. AD 1000-1300), such as full plate and the plate cuirass. (The coat of plates, apparently a forerunner of brigandine, is available in some areas.) "Plate mail" (i.e., transitional plate armour) can be assembled from mail, a coat of plates, greaves, vambraces, a coif, and a closed helm.

Lamellar, scale, and brigandine are similar enough that they can be merged, yet I think I will keep them as separate types simply because their wide recognition as separate types facilitates the imaginative aspect of the game. (Scale and brigandine differ from lamellar in that their constituent plates are fastened to a flexible backing material; lamellar plates are laced together without a backing foundation.) (Actually, I will probably have coat of plates instead of brigandine. See these pix of reconstucted examples of coats of plate from the Visby (or Wisby) find, a 14th century battle/massacre.)

Note also that though armour stats are broken down by body area (coat, leggings, etc.) and type (mail, scale, etc.), I will have stats for armour "packages" (e.g., Norman armour) for easier bookkeeping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Bruzynski

PostSubject: Re: Armor notes   Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:25 pm

cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Armor notes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1