Checkerseekerdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the original Sunday Group.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Idea for a tree grow spell

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kubera

kubera

Idea for a tree grow spell Empty
PostSubject: Idea for a tree grow spell   Idea for a tree grow spell Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:47 pm

The first spell is for right now the higher versions are just ideas to beef it up at higher levels. [/size]

Paul has his own version pending, we were looking for a balanced spell but were going at in different directions so I suggested we both submitt, I also asked for other versions from players for comparision but no one has submitted anything.

Tree growth [/size]

level 3 [/size]
casting time 1 turn/100 sq ft [/size]
[area of effect 100 sq ft/ level[/size]
Components, V, S,M[/size]
duration : permanent[/size]
sphere, plant[/size]
saving none[/size]

The druid/nature priest casting this spell chants while walking around and through the area of effect for the entire duration burning a smudge of various herbs and plants. The details for the creation of this smudge are a druidical secret and must be produced within days of the actual casting taking 1 entire day and 1 successful spell craft roll to complete, failure adds a further day of preparation and another skill check to complete. Smudges may be prepared ahead of time but as they lose the efficacy after 7 days they cannot be hoarded without other presevative magics, they are rarely found for purchase.[/size]

The spell once cast causes all trees/hard wood plants (including shrubs and various vines) in the area of effect to grow a full years growth within the next months time, this growth can not take place during the dormant months for trees in each area's climate. Futher each stand of forest may only have 1 tree growth spell effecting them at any time, making it normal that a well tended grove could at best gain 8 years growth in a calander year. As you can never know what other seeds have been invigorated in this blessed ground, it is imperative that the area be weeded between castings lest important purpose planted trees be overwealmed by other trees. [/size]

The spell may be used on tree seeds in a nusery situation but they must be transplated to their adult spacing by the time they are (magical equivalent) 6 years old. While it is possible to move older trees, cutting out their roots to move them would require two full years of natural growth or two more castings to correct the damage and stunting caused by the move.[/size]

Meta Stuff: the requirement to space the trees to their adult requirements makes the spell self limiting, what could effect 10x50 and maybe 40-60 spaced seedlings at one point soon effects only 3 or 4 trees 6 months later in the same area.[/size]

The requirement for smudges ensures druids don't go nuts and only cast this spell, "I for one welcome our new tree overlords." Sure they CAN create a personal forest if they see fit but it will be a full time job not just a quick cast and walk away. [/size]

Further the slow growth and long casting time makes it clear this is not a spell to be used in active adventuring,, "ooh look I just put an instant tree in the middle of the road so the enemy can't pass its supply wagons. " While maybe there is a need for such a spell it should be above level 3[/size]

Advanced tree growth[/size]

level 4[/size]
Casting time 1 turn[/size]
area of effect 1 tree[/size]
Components VSM[/size]
permanent[/size]
sphere, plant[/size]
save, none[/size]

Occassionaly a druid might desire to greatly accelerate 1 tree for a personal dwelling or to shelter some denizen of the forest, this spell behaves much like the 3 level tree growth but gives a single tree 2d8 years of growth over the next year. [/size]

To cast this spell the priest must circle, and chant the single tree with the same kind of smuge used in the 3rd level varient. [/size]

This spell has one extra but very obscure use. It will act as a heal spell on a Treant. Rare but a good way to curry favour from a pissed off tree who's run afoul of foresters.[/size]

Instant tree growth[/size]

level 5[/size]
casting time 1 round/1turn[/size]
area of effect 1 tree[/size]
components VSM[/size]
permanent[/size]
plant [/size]
special[/size]

When a large tree is required block a road, crack a foundation, or scare the hell out of the natives a priest can force a tree into a frenzy of radical growth.[/size]

The priest in this kind of situation has several choices but time to chant and wave a smudge around is not likely one of them. The priest can take several short cuts but doing so increases the chance of the spell being uncontrolled. The caster decides which version of the spell he wishes to casts and rolls on the table[/size]

1. No smudge roll on table -40 (casting time 1 round)[/size]
2. smudge available but instantly incinerated rather than burned slowly roll -20 (casting time 1 round)[/size]
3. smudge is available and the target tree is circled for the full turn (casting time 1 turn)[/size]

0-10 The tree crackles with energy and begins to grow gaining 1d100 years of growth before exploding at the end of the round causing 3d10 damage to anyone within 100 ft.[/size]
11-40 The begins to grow at supper accelerated rate shaking, flexing and flailing as it does caster is hit for 2d10 gaining 4d10 years of growth[/size]
51-70 controled growth adds 5d10 years to the tree[/size]
71-90 controlled growth adds 7d10 years[/size]
91-100 tree grows to the size of a full treant and behaves as a friendly one for 1d4 turns, after such time the magic fades and its a big dead tree. [/size]

Last edited by kubera on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
Paul

Paul

PostSubject: My Verision of Tree Growth   Idea for a tree grow spell Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Tree Growth (Alteration)

Level: Pr 3
Sphere: Plant
Casting Time: Special
Range: Touch
Area of Effect: 40 square feet
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Special
Components: V S M

This spell, a variation of Plant Growth, is particularly favoured by druids and elves in their efforts to propagate trees* for their sacred groves and forest homes. Both druids and elves also use this spell to replace trees lost to the ravages of civilization, such as Iuz’s incursions, devastating natural disasters, or areas bereft of woodland.

When cast, trees within the area of effect have their natural growth rate increased by 2d4+1 years. Tree Growth can only be cast successfully once per year. This spell must be cast on saplings or seeds during the planting season in the appropriate habitat. The magical growth takes place over a one-year period. The spell can only be cast successfully three times on each selected area. The casting time is one hour per year rolled (e.g. 2 to 9 hours at 3rd level). Saving throw as per Plant Growth.*

For every three levels of experience the spell increases the growth rate by 1 year—+1 at 3rd level, +2 at 6th level, and +3 at 9th level.

*As I was grocery shopping, it occurred to me that the phrase 'hardwood tress' might exclude softwood trees, so I took the word out. Regardless, the spell is specific to trees.

Last edited by Paul on Sun May 29, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : *spelling)
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a tree grow spell   Idea for a tree grow spell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Jonathan, can you rule on these or design something of your own liking.

Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a tree grow spell   Idea for a tree grow spell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 am

It's just short of 2 years since we asked for a ruling on a tree growth spell. Surely the DM has put countless hours of deliberation into this query.
Back to top Go down
Jonathan

Jonathan

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a tree grow spell   Idea for a tree grow spell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 5:10 pm

A decision like this is never arrived at quickly. I assure you that when I do arrive at my answer, it will be just, proper, and correct, making the wait worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathansadventuresinretail.blogspot.com/
Jonathan

Jonathan

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a tree grow spell   Idea for a tree grow spell Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 5:19 pm

To be honest, I like all of these spells. There isn't much overlap in them, as they seem to produce somewhat different results for each spell. Feel free to use any or all of them. Spell research costs will be determined once I am home and can come up with a properly debilitating monetary amount Wink
Back to top Go down
http://jonathansadventuresinretail.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a tree grow spell   Idea for a tree grow spell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idea for a tree grow spell
Page 1 of 1