Checkerseekerdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the original Sunday Group.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

star trek meets monty phython

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kubera

kubera

star trek meets monty phython Empty
PostSubject: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 9:20 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 4:25 pm

The wheelchair-like thing at the end looks like the contraption for the burned woman in a South Park episode. Coincidence?

I wonder what a Venn diagram of Star Trek and Monty Python fans would look like. I'd be in the (small?) non-intersecting region within the Monty Python shape.

Which Star Trek series do you watch/like? Which has the best storylines (and what does "best" mean to you in this context)?
Back to top Go down
http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 5:57 pm

In order worst to best

Enterprise - just plan yuk, two mildly attractive women could not save this show from itself, crappy characters, weak stories, and they trampled on the original time line. Only good point was the shallow fleshing out of the Andorans, (blue guys , grouchy, antenni)

next generation - so much better visually yet the stark goody goody LG alignment of star fleet was too pronounced, their world view too sterile. Some good stuff like the klingon civil war but too many unasociated crap episodes.. Westly Crusher, Child actors generally piss me off , he was one of the most crappiest ever and they centered too many episodes around him. High points Worf, low points westly and space slut.

The original, was original , stories only passable but the era and the camp excused them.

Voyager- Sorta like the B team as far as actors but a good collection of not perfect characters. Real continuity between episodes, moments of darkness and despair, High points Belana and the a wide selection of distinct reacuring enemy, low points anything with Neelix

Deep space- really crappy seasons 1-2 but grew into a good series with shades of darkness, season long continuity, good mix of reacuring aliens,

Babylon 5 - ok its not star trek but it was better than all the treks.
Back to top Go down
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Wost to Best (I automatically adjust for the era they were released and when I was originally watching them):

DS9: Active Dislike - APPALLING! Anchored to one spot in space - no boldly going anywhere. Who's the dummy that dropped the ball there? I never made it to season 3 when it is purported to have improved. Everything bad (except Worf)

Enterprise: Apathy - The last season worked the best - at least it didn't make me wretch like DS9. I hated the beagle and Dr. Flox.

Voyager: Liked it - 7 of 9... The premise and continuity were cool. 7 of 9... There was a vision behind the show. 7 of 9 ... Neelix should have been served in the soup in the mess hall.

TNG: It was great. I can't watch it today - it's just plain ridiculous. The 80's inspired look of everything is too weird for me now but, I liked the characters, the way they interacted and the two story aspect of every episode. Wesley Crusher and the Troy women were low points

TOS: Loved it. Bad acting, bad sets, bad props, bad costumes but for some reason it worked! It was likely the stories combined with the groundbreaking ideas that made it so entertaining.
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 8:33 pm

DS9
by season 3 they had the constant activity at the worm hole plus their own ship , the Defiant which was the only pure military ship we've ever seen from the federation. Warp power directed into a pulse phaser.

By season 4 they had galatic war and losts of shooting.

Back to top Go down
Jonathan

Jonathan

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 pm

I like the original series, although it is certainly cringeworthy at points (Spock singing comes to mind), but nobody can chew scenery like William "Khaaaaaaaan!" Shatner.

Next Generation was also entertaining and enjoyable, but Wesley needed to be teleported out into space at the earliest convenience.

Deep Sleep Space 9....huh? sorry, what? I dozed off there for a moment. (Doug- DS9 was a counter to Babylon 5, which came out the year after DS9 started)

While I liked Voyager, I always seemed to miss it. Still, 7 of 9, sigh.

Apparently I am the only one who thoroughly enjoyed Enterprise. Excepting the title song. If there is a hell, that composer belongs in it. Plus, it had Jolene Blalock's rack-I mean Sub-Commander T'Pol.

Carter-I don't think that they trampled on the original timeline, but if they did, I'm sure it was just ret-con.

I would have to rank them in order (best to worst) TNG, TOS, ST:E, ST:V, and DS9.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathansadventuresinretail.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Quote :
DS9
by season 3 they had the constant activity at the worm hole plus their own ship , the Defiant which was the only pure military ship we've ever seen from the federation. Warp power directed into a pulse phaser.

By season 4 they had galatic war and losts of shooting.

yes the Defiant... I did like that ship... it's the same boat that Riker calls a "tough little ship" when the Enterprise E saves it from certain destruction at the hands of a Borg Cube... (The same cube which the big E in turn pulverizes...) I recall Worf did not like the word "little" (perhaps Worf's 2nd best reaction - after "I am not a merry man"). The Defiant and Worf were the highlights of DS9 (and one of them was stolen from TNG).

I am a hardcore Trekkie... I gave this series 2 years to do something useful. It didn't - I gave up. I did try to watch sporadically after season 2 but, the continuity of the story from episode to episode made it tough to follow without the knowledge of previous episodes. The other star treks let you join in at any episode - the politics (and religion where applicable) of Bejor, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, Cardassians, Klingons, Romulans, the founders and the federation was probably interesting if you had followed but made no sense when you dropped in to the middle of season 2+x.

I forgot to mention Quark, Rom, Nog, Jake Sisko, Dr. Bashir, and the accursed promenade as particularly annoying.
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Actually I liked Quark, the Moogy episodes where hillarious,,

After season 2 they stopped flogging the kids brigade they became mostly invisible until adulthood where jake was still a putz but Nog became the first Ferengi in star fleet.

He actually got his leg shot off.

The Cardasian tailor became a great charater.
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 pm

"TOS" = the original series?
Back to top Go down
http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Quote :
"TOS" = the original series?

Yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: star trek meets monty phython   star trek meets monty phython Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

star trek meets monty phython
Page 1 of 1