Checkerseekerdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the original Sunday Group.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The need for earlier game date/place decisions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kubera

kubera

The need for earlier game date/place decisions Empty
PostSubject: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 am

Last night was a cluster fuck, we need to decide if we have quorum, and a location earlier than the day of the game if at all possible.

Not everyone is web bound all day and some like me and Jonathan don't even have cells so making last minute decisions on location should not be done unless you can get a verbal confirmation from everyone.

Doug, I can occassionly play at your place if I know a day or so ahead and can sleep in your tub/couch/car I am honestly not fit to drive at midnight and will not kill myself to attend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 2:30 pm

As long as everyone acknowledges the date and location, plans can be made at the last minute. It's just that the likelihood of universal acknowledgement decreases with the lateness of the hour.
Back to top Go down
http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Quote :

As long as everyone acknowledges the date and location, plans can be made at the last minute. It's just that the likelihood of universal acknowledgement decreases with the lateness of the hour.

I agree which is why i said

Quote :
making last minute decisions on location should not be done unless you can get a verbal confirmation from everyone

This was not done because the assumption you were watching the forum was a wrong one, that Jonathan posted a mere 9 minutes after you did it seemed like a reasonable assumption to make and no one questioned it.

The assumption was also made that doug knew where craig lived, wrong, earlier either doug or johnathan called me looking for the others number, one had assumed the other knew it, or was that the week before?

We are generally piss poor communitcators. By the way no one seems to have your cell phone # , except jonathan who did not have it with him.

I get frustrated all the time not knowing well ahead of time what we are doing, while I have little social life, its nice to know if I have to spend part of the day scraping some of the filth off the house for guests or we can take the kids out instead, go to dinner etc. I like a schedule and order and
our disorganziation pisses me off sometimes. While the onus is on the organizer to make sure of these things I usually get ancy and get my secretary to call Jonathan and verify.
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:17 pm

kubera wrote:
[...]

This was not done because the assumption you were watching the forum was a wrong one, that Jonathan posted a mere 9 minutes after you did it seemed like a reasonable assumption to make and no one questioned it.

[...]
A user's profile reveals when he was last online, and the main thread page shows who's online at the moment.

Nevertheless, my lack of acknowledgement was the key fact of the matter--especially since I was explicit about this strict requirement in the very thread.

kubera wrote:
[...]

By the way no one seems to have your cell phone # , except jonathan who did not have it with him.

[...]
I could have been reached via my home phone; on the other hand, the perceived inability to contact me should have made it all the more important to avoid altering plans.
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

PostSubject: devils advocate   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:46 pm

While I sympathize with your waste of time, gas and more imporantly greenhouse emissions

Quote :

I could have been reached via my home phone; on the other hand, the perceived inability to contact me should have made it all the more important to avoid altering plans.

I had assumed you went out but if you were home you could have checked the forum again just as easliy as someone calling you, no?

As for your statement that the game would be here (which I approve of in principle and what I would have prefered to web playing) as DM, nexus of communication and the one who would need to mooch a ride or take a bus to get here, that decision was ultimately Jonathans

So poor communication and blame to go around in my opinion, everyone give themselves a wedgie and call it even
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:27 am

My silence after the change of plans was a clear indication that I was unaware of the change. Not only did my earlier statement (i.e., "If we don't hear from everybody, the default location is assumed") prove this by announcing how I was conducting myself in the coordination of our plans, but it should be obvious that the alteration of plans incurs a moral obligation to inform those who haven't acknowledged the change and, failing that, a reversion to the original plan.

But in retrospect, my reaction on this board left something to be desired. My words were overly harsh. I apologize for this. I only meant to express my displeasure at the fact the group seemed to value me so little that no one bothered to verify if I was aware of the change, realize the necessity of universal acknowledgement even though I made it plain, or apologize for the oversight. I was and am wounded by this. (Craig did apologize, and I forgive him.)
Back to top Go down
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 9:51 pm

I assume full culpability for my part of this unfortunate incident. The confusion began with my offer to play at my house - there was no malicious intent in making this gesture, it was simply in hopes of offering a central location that could result in a savings of time and gas for many (all but Carter essentially). In future I will coordinate with Carter to arrange a sleeping spot for him if we should choose to play here.

I think all of us but Steve were unaware that we could see an indication of last login. That would have been a very helpful indicator that Steve had not seen the updates. When I read Steve's e-mail I did not understand that this was an indication that he would not be logging in again and this was indeed his plan of action. I'm not sure why but, I (and others) interpreted it to be a fall back position if there were no further communications (which there were but, Steve was unaware of).

From my standpoint, I was watching the board and knew I could make a phone call to get the address if I did not get a useful answer as to where Craig lives. I was not adversely affected or offended by the communication cluster fuck we experienced. I wrote my snide e-mail in reply to Carter's Mexico Pete statement and shortly thereafter picked up the phone to call him and get the address - I thought I was just being funny...

For the record, I know where Carter lives and his phone #. I now know where Craig lives but,will likely forget unless we play there again soon. I do not know Craig's phone #. I do not have addresses or phone #'s for Steve or Jonathan.

So, when are we playing next?? Monday the 13th? What level?
Back to top Go down
Jonathan

Jonathan

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 1:23 am

For the record, Steve, I thought that you would check the forum before you left, because that's what I would have done. But you aren't me, and so perhaps I should have called you to make sure that you knew where we were playing. I am sorry that you had to drive up to Newmarket to find out that we weren't playing there, and can understand why you feel (felt) slighted. Let me make it clear that I do value your input as a player and a friend and don't wish to lose it.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathansadventuresinretail.blogspot.com/
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Wilhelm wrote:
I assume full culpability for my part of this unfortunate incident. [...]

Jonathan wrote:
I am sorry that you had to drive up to Newmarket to find out that we weren't playing there, and can understand why you feel (felt) slighted. Let me make it clear that I do value your input as a player and a friend and don't wish to lose it.

Thank you, gentlemen. Let the healing begin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The need for earlier game date/place decisions   The need for earlier game date/place decisions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The need for earlier game date/place decisions
Page 1 of 1