Checkerseekerdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the original Sunday Group.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

raid summary Redux

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 am

Quote :
Summary of raid 1

1500 orcs-

total killed
minions, 3 leaders 1%

Raid 2

80-100 killed by fireballs/drowned and swept away by river

40-50 injured/lame by caltrops (its probable these guys will be left to fend for themselves rather than slow up the entire army,
likely condition 90% combat effectiveness

Quote :
200-300
Hobgoblins

32 + 1 leader 10

40 killed by bow fire and flash bangs

total 72+
65-75% combat effectiveness

Quote :
100 ogres
total killed
11+2 leader 10%

12 cut down after crossing river
total dead 25
75% combat effectiveness

Quote :
100 Lorcs

Total 15 +1 leader
16% dead

30-35 dead by fireball arrow fire
50-55% combat effectiveness.

nearly as tough as ogres and probably smarter I'd like to finish off the Lorcs before the siege,
Provided the sea still looks safe, it would make sense to hit them again, dash in on horse at night , lob a fire ball or two from the wand and the ring of shooting stars and bail out. That or finish off the baggage

I suspect we've slowed them 1/2 a day, tend wounded, get the wagons across the screw up ford etc, that's one more sleep cycle to recover spells.

I'm perplexed by Orc banes absence. Have they sneaked off , sneaked off to get help, dead?
Back to top Go down
http://www.canadiansilverbug.blogspot.com/
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

If we perform such a raid perhaps we should break off in to 2 teams. One team to obliterate the baggage train the other to drop some of the troops. We should do this while they are still a distance away. I'd like the spell casters to be able to get home and recharge before the siege begins.

After we killed so many of them I'm sure they now have restocked their food supplies with fresh bbq (yum!). We should deny them that food supply and additional siege supplies before they reach "the stan". I also agree the Lorcs are a top priority.

I hear you re orcs bane. For my part, I'm confused about the Griffin Riders absence. They know a large force of orcs is moving up and they are not flying over regularly to monitor. If I were in their shoes, I know I'd be watching their progress and direction of travel. I would certainly be checking in with the people in their path.
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm not overly confused by the Griffin riders absence, Greyhawk has a peace treaty with the orcs and don't want to restart the war.

Should the Griffins be seen cavorting with the Cirdish, the orcs may assume we are Greyhawk's proxy and feel justified attacking the DMZ. I would not have even put out the bat signal if some unidentified NPC had not stressed it. It would be nice if a they flew in a couple of spare battle mages under cover of darkness but I don't expect any help.

Carrow will be asking one group of the mounted men to head south along the river and salvage him some bodies, his attitude was "They're not elf dead, why would I have an ethical issue about animating them."

I don't think Rild or many of the towns folk will care for this plan but he can easily bunk them at the duck blind, then he or Mopar can use them for a raid. Had he mentioned this previous to burning the bodies from Cantona, he could have created a couple platoons,

I figure he lays them out along the road making it look like they died there in battle , when the army passes, chameleon Mopar sends them forth giving someone with the FB wand a distraction/ defensive screen.

I will make a rousing speech to the towns frail old folk offering a couple of them the opportunity to contribute to the survival of the town by being accepting new bodies, perhaps Giants. They of course will remain citizens, earn both a whole new life and a properly sized new dwelling and get the chance for revenge. This may sell well with the fisher folk, who suffered so under the orcish heal. As a giant they need never feel powerless again. As Rotoc used no 4 level spells he should be able to upgrade 2 people at least, if we can sell the idea.
Back to top Go down
Wilhelm

Wilhelm

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 pm

How much attrition did we complete on Sunday? It sounded pretty good.

I know Harcourt Fireballed about 20 orcs.
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:07 pm

No definative count.

of the two groups of 30 ogres we must have taken 1/2 of 1 group out minimum

Jonathan said 1/10 of the troops were caught on the wrong side of the fire wall, Was that 10% of the 800 orcs 80?

or 10% of the entire force the 1260 in the advancing army?

+ your 20

So numbers are not too accurate, but my guess is a range from 105-165 dead mostly orcs.

I think my trick suprised them, if only more had been trapped. Still They've made no real advance on the wall have lost a goodly number of soldiers, ladders are delayed- we should have sent disposable back up , Libram maybe.
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 7:48 pm

I understood him to mean 10% of the orcs.

P.S. I wonder what the Vegas odds-makers would say about our chances.
Back to top Go down
http://mailedfist.blogspot.com/
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm

So the dead count is at the bottom end of the range. Still 100 orcs and a dozen or more ogres is not a bad start.

Bare minimum we have two rounds of attack over the smoke before they return to order after being blinded and lossing momentum, back away or figure out ways to douse the fire. I don't see us killing that many more in that time, considering the smoke obscures them. Still its better than fighting on the walls, So do we work on killing quantity or killing quality and directing that two rounds of fire on the ogres?

by the way I'm unsure if the catapult attacks were made correctly, My assumption was that the oil attack, or rubble would fill most of a 10x10 square doing damage to most creatures in it,, not just one shot/one target like the Ballista With multiple jugs bigger than a normal molotov, or one single 3 gallon jug in each throw I would think 3-18hp in the target square with 1-8 adjacent squares for splatter. 1-8 residual burning round two. Using the oil grenade rules is wrong when the payload is 10x bigger.

Its pretty impressive when you think about 30 ogres in a unit, that's over 900 hps we need to generate for each unit, 3200 hp for the orc units. yikes

Odds I don't know , I don't think they will back off until more than 60% dead, that leaves us a lot of work, at least 50% more.
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Idea: if/when orcs make it to the walltop, enfilade them (lightning bolt/ring of shooting stars?).
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:29 am

we have no lightning bolts ,
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 2:55 pm

XP

Ok I'm just making a wild guess but it would look like we generated at least 1400 dead orcs,
200 dead Hgoblins,
70 ogres,
and 150 Lorcs

Throw in shaman, a couple mages and their leaders and it should add up to 50-65k. Unfortunately at least 70% of that is from the last battle and would be shared widely, so don't expect anyone leveling.

Loot

A couple of small coins each won't amount to much,, and I suspect the gleaners will enrich themselves rather than pass over small sums to the Lords of Cirdastan. (bloody peasants!)

I think the bigger haul is salvage.

They may not be master works but the weapons are probably serviceable. There is no reason every man/women and Tween should not have their own weapon or 4

We can clean them and sell them in GreyHawk, Gryrax, or donate them to insurgents in Onwal, or if too poorly made we have 10,000 lbs (5lb each) of mystery metal to send to our foundry for re-refining or making caltrops.

xbows could be mounted in big frames and set up as volley guns,, 25 bows all loaded and fired by a common trigger. That or preloaded and placed on the battlements, each man might get 4 bows so he has the opportunity to take 2 rounds of x2 fire when the enemy closes to a practical distance.

Even orcish bolts are good enough to restock our supplies.. they don't get a minus to shoot so we have to assume they are made reasonably well.
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Let's hope the DM doesn't cut down the XP award too much.
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 am

I don't think he was saying "you're not getting it all" in respect that he's jipping us on our kills , rather "WE" don't get it all, we have to share a large portion of it with the troops, which is only fair.

In only 2 of the attacks, "you lightning up my life" and "Duck blind ala orc" were we alone. The wall defense had over 200 supporting characters, Battleford had 20 of our best tag along,, good thing too we would never have killed the ogres and got away before more forces crossed the river.

3/4 of the deaths were not party exclusive so we should not expect to split the 60k 7 ways,.
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm

kubera wrote:
I don't think he was saying "you're not getting it all" in respect that he's jipping us on our kills , rather "WE" don't get it all, we have to share a large portion of it with the troops, which is only fair.

In only 2 of the attacks, "you lightning up my life" and "Duck blind ala orc" were we alone. The wall defense had over 200 supporting characters, Battleford had 20 of our best tag along,, good thing too we would never have killed the ogres and got away before more forces crossed the river.

3/4 of the deaths were not party exclusive so we should not expect to split the 60k 7 ways,.
Yes: I meant the award to us (the party)--not knowing how much XP the rank-and-file earn (in Gygax's AD&D, for example, henchmen earn only a half-share).
Back to top Go down
kubera

kubera

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:33 pm

We could be dicks and just send the people on the cusp of leveling to hunt the last 8k worth of Ogres.

Ulthor, Carrow, Mopar?, Arcturus (not sure he's on the cusp but at only 4th, it won't take much either way)
Back to top Go down
SteveL
Admin
SteveL

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Yes. Another (meta; cynical) idea: send a bunch of low-level soldiers: most will die, but the remaining few will earn that much more XP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

raid summary Redux Empty
PostSubject: Re: raid summary Redux   raid summary Redux Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

raid summary Redux
Page 1 of 1